'My Greatest Love Of All'- The Bodyguard The Musical Review

★★★★★



The Bodyguard Musical has always had a very special place in my heart as it was the first musical that I properly remember watching, back when I was 11. It was also the first time I  waited at stage door after the show and it transformed going to the theatre for me. I know I will never forget the time that little Year 7 me met Alexandra Burke for the first time and I was completely start struck. I've met her twice since then and she is really lovely. Last night I went to see The Bodyguard for the fourth time, my second time in two weeks, and it just gets better every time!

Alexandra Burke wowed once again as Rachel Marron. Every time I have seen the Bodyguard, Alexandra has played Rachel and every time she manages to encapture the audience with her portrayal of the complex character who on the outside is tough and acts like she doesn't need anyone yet internally she is terrified about being alone. The singing throughout the show was on a whole other level, with Alexandra stunning the audience with her renditions of some of Whitney's most loved tracks, including "Queen of the Night",  "All the Man That I Need" and probably the most critically acclaimed "I Will Always Love You". Alexandra manages to bring a whole new sense of life to Whitney's songs, delivering them just as well but with her own version. For me, this makes the show even more special, as it follows a similar story to the film which Whitney starred in 28 years ago, but enables the audiences to relive the songs in a whole different way. 



Ben Lewis played Frank Farmer, the Bodyguard who was originally reluctant to take on Rachel as a client as he 'doesn't do celebrities' but then falls in love with her and finds an admirer in her 10 year old son Fletcher. Lewis portrayed Frank extremely well and he has exceptional chemistry with Burke. Emmy Willow played Rachel's overlooked sister Nikki. In Act 1,  Emmy and Alexandra perform a duet to 'Run to You' (one of my personal favourites from the show) both expressing their love for Frank Farmer. Willow's voice made her songs sound effortless and her duet with Burke complimented both their vocal tones together.

The Bodyguard has lots of factors which brings people back to watch it multiple times. It's high energy right from the start, due to the high intensity dance numbers choreographed by Karen Bruce. The show is also filled with suspense and tension, especially in the second half. The constant juxtaposition of some of Whitney's most feel good songs being performed, followed by the Stalker (played by Phil Atkinson) appearing on stage armed with a gun, allows the audience to experience a range of emotions, keeping them constantly engaged and sometimes even on edge.

This show has the ability to bring together the die hard Whitney Houston fans, along with the musical theatre lovers and also a younger generation, keeping the love that the world had for Whitney Houston and her songs, continuing for years to come.

As I said at the beginning, I really, really love this show and lots of other people do too. My auntie has now seen it six times and in her words "I could never get bored of it!" With such a strong cast and incredible songs, this show can never fail to deliver a good night. I can guarantee that I will be watching again if the tour comes back!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everything Came Up Roses!- Gypsy The Musical Review

Staycation in Devon!!

The Crystal Maze Live Experience Manchester Review