My Favourite Musical Movies!



Hi Guys!

I thought that today, I would share some of my favourite musical theatre movies. I first discovered my passion for musical theatre through some of these films, and I have found that they are great to watch whilst we are all stuck inside. The soundtracks are great and they provide some much needed escapism from all the chaos that is going on in the world right now, which I think we all need sometimes!

 Let me know your favourite movie musicals - especially if they aren't on the list- as I'm always on the lookout for new musicals to obsess over!

Here's mine...

1. Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (1999)

This was the first movie musical I ever saw as a kid and it holds a dear place in my heart. I used to watch it (on tape!!) at my grandparent's house and I fell in love with it. I think I must have watched it every week for about 2 years! It is definitely one of the older ones on the list and you can tell from the quality of the picture, however I get a strong sense of nostalgia every time I watch it. It has an all-star cast: Donny Osmond, Richard Attenborough and Joan Collins star as Joseph, Jacob and Mrs Potiphar respectively. It takes on the biblical story of Joseph, with music and lyrics by Andrew Lloyd-Webber and Tim Rice. It's fun to watch, and definitely one for the whole family.

2. Hairspray (2007)   

This is my favourite film out of the whole list, as well as being one of my favourite films of all time. I am obsessed with everything about it: the soundtrack, the dancing and of course, the casting! Zac Efron is particularly strong in his role as teenage heart throb Link Larkin. The message is also extremely topical, now more than ever. It highlights the racial inequalities on TV in Baltimore during the 60's, and portrays how having the desire for things to change is one of the most important qualities a person can have.

3. Chicago (2002)

The perfect casting is what makes this film special for me. Catherine Zeta-Jones and Renée Zellweger play the roles of Velma Kelly and Roxie Hart perfectly. Velma Kelly is my all-time dream role so I am a little bit obsessed with the film's soundtrack, particularly 'All That Jazz' and 'Class'. I have seen both the musical and the film, and whilst the film doesn't include all of the songs that are in the show, I think it is just as good. It's glamorous, dramatic and sassy in equal measures, as well as being a Musical classic!

4. Dirty Dancing (1987) 


This is another classic and one that I grew up watching with my mum. With its iconic lines such as 'I carried a watermelon!' and 'Nobody puts Baby in the corner!' as well as its timeless score, you cannot really go wrong with this film. It's an easy watch and one I find that all generations seem to enjoy.

5. The Bodyguard (1992)

I was introduced to the film 'The Bodyguard' when I was about 10 and I have seen the production 4 times at the theatre! I love the plot and Whitney Houston is perfect in the role as Rachel Marron. My only issue with the film is that there isn't enough Whitney songs in it, especially compared to the musical production, which is full of the most popular songs all the way through. The film and musical slightly differ in plot too, making both a completely different experience to each other. 

6. Mamma Mia (2008) 


Mamma Mia is the most iconic jukebox musical in my opinion and I think that if you asked anyone what their favourite Musical Movie is, this would definitely be one of the most common answers. For me, Christine Baranski is the standout performer in this film, and Tanya is 100% my favourite character. The ABBA songs in the film just fit so perfectly and are timeless. This is a film that the whole family could watch together, as there is something for everyone in it. I also think it's a great introduction to Musical Theatre as it involves both well-known songs and theatrical characteristics. Here's some good news- it's being put back onto Netflix on July 1st!

7. Evita (1996)

I only watched Evita for the first time last year but I really enjoyed it. It's not necessarily the easiest watch on the list, but it's a really interesting story, and even more so because it is based on true events. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Madonna playing Eva Peron, as I had never seen any of her other films. It's emotional and empowering all in one and therefore, definitely a great watch!


I hope this has given you some inspiration for your next film day! Don't forget to let me know what your favourite musical films are in the comments!  







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everything Came Up Roses!- Gypsy The Musical Review

Staycation in Devon!!

The Crystal Maze Live Experience Manchester Review