Waitress Review

 


Last weekend, I went to the Manchester Opera House to see my favourite musical of all time- Waitress! Having seen it in London back in 2019, ( see my review here!) I knew what to expect, but this time was even better than last. 

I was fortunate enough to be able to see the incredible Lucie Jones as Jenna, for the second time, before she leaves the role at the end of the year to take on Elphaba in Wicked. In my eyes, Lucie is the best Jenna Hunterson. She plays the role effortlessly, with her outstanding acting and vocals highlighting that she really is at the top of her game. I've never seen a round of applause last as long as it did after she finished the emotional ballad 'She Used To Be Mine'. 

I was very impressed by Matt Willis' portrayal of Dr Pomatter. Having seen David Hunter play the role last time, I wasn't sure what to expect from Willis, but I was very pleasantly surprised. He took the character in a different direction, taking on a more awkward and shy persona, which really worked! It added a vulnerability to the role, which complemented Jones' Jenna and created a relationship between the two which had great depth and a believable emotional connection.

Sandra Marvin (Becky), Evelyn Hoskins (Dawn) and George Crawford (Ogie) all play key roles in making the show the success it is. Purely because they are all so funny! All 3 of the characters have their own solos to help the audience truly understand the characters and relate to their stories. The blossoming relationship between Ogie and Dawn, and Becky's Act 2 opening solo 'I Didn't Plan It' are all extremely enjoyable parts of the show.

Waitress is extremely clever in the way it is written, both through the script and the music, because it takes the audience on an emotional journey. I found myself hysterically laughing in some scenes, before being close to tears in others. Sara Bareilles is a musical genius because each song tells a story on its own, yet they all piece together to tell Jenna's story in an effortless way. 

Every time I see the show/listen to the soundtrack, I have a different favourite song and I think this highlights just how talented Bareilles is at creating addictive scores that audiences fall in love with. My current favourite song at the moment is 'Everything Changes'- an underrated one in my opinion!

The show is a triumph in every way, with the casting, story, music and performances all being perfect. I am excited to see how the show changes when Chelsea Halfpenny takes over from Lucie Jones next year, but I know how much Lucie will be missed!

Waitress continues its tour across the country until July 2022, with Chelsea Halfpenny taking over the role of Jenna from January. Click here to book tickets! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everything Came Up Roses!- Gypsy The Musical Review

Staycation in Devon!!

The Crystal Maze Live Experience Manchester Review