Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat Review- 26/08/21

Last week I finally got to return to the theatre, after over a year away! I went to the London Palladium to see Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat. Joseph was a big part of my childhood, as I used to watch the film, featuring Donny Osmond and Maria Friedman, every week without fail!

 I was really excited to finally be able to see one of my theatre idols, Linzi Hateley, reprise the role of Narrator, that she first had 30 years ago. However, I found out a few hours before that she was ill so wouldn’t be performing. One day, I still hope to be able to see Linzi play the Narrator! Instead, I got to see Rochelle Sherona take over the role and I was not disappointed! She opened each act of the show with the iconic Narrator songs 'Prologue' and 'Pharaoh Story', two of my personal favourites, which set the scene for the rest of the show. From the minute she began to sing, I knew that the role I love so much would be in safe hands. The Narrator is especially demanding as they don’t really leave the stage for the duration of the performance. This was made even more complicated as in the new production of the show, the narrator takes on multiple roles, also playing Jacob and Mrs Potiphar. Rochelle handled this incredibly well, showcasing both her singing ability and comic timing, which led to a very impressive performance. 

 This leads me to my next point, about the use of multi-roling and having children play adult roles. In some areas I think it works. For example, having younger children play some of Joseph's brothers is a nice touch. However in some parts I didn’t think it worked quite as well. Having a child play Potiphar I felt took away from the dramatic nature of the scene, instead making it more comical. It was also a bit strange that as Mrs Potiphar was played by the narrator, a child was supposedly married to a grown woman. I thought it just made the scene more confusing, especially if you haven't seen it before, to know in the past that Potiphar is usually played by an adult. All of the children who were in the show were extremely talented, I just don’t think that putting children in adult roles works as well for the show, as previous versions. The children are almost used to make the audience laugh at things that wouldn't be funny if said by an adult, creating a more pantomime feel. However, it does make the production more child friendly and appealing, highlighting the evolution of the show, which otherwise is quite similar to previous productions. It also played homage to the origins of Joseph being played in a school, emphasising the connection that Joseph has with children globally. 

 Jac Yarrow, as Joseph, was the standout performer of the day for me. His rendition of ‘Close Every Door’ was the best version of the song I have ever heard. It was emotionally charged and captivating, leading to a long lasting round of applause from the audience. This was the first time I got to witness his talent and I look forward to seeing where his career takes him after Joseph closes. I had high expectations for Jason Donovan as Pharaoh, due to him playing the titular role 30 years ago. Whilst his singing was arguably not the strongest of the lead actors, his performance skills made up for it, creating an enjoyable performance for the audience.

 The show is full of timeless songs and high energy choreography. Choreographed by Joann M. Hunter, there are elements of a range of styles such as tap and country, all which come together to create a show which was engaging and pleasing to the eye. I forgot quite how much I loved the score of Joseph until I found myself unable to sit still throughout the entire show!

 Joseph ends its run at The London Palladium on the 5th September, so you still have a couple of days to potentially get some last minute seats! I recommend the matinees if you are wanting a greater choice of seats at a more affordable rate. Overall, it's a great production for the entire family to enjoy. With a catchy soundtrack and outstanding performances from the entire cast, it's one you really don't want to miss out on seeing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everything Came Up Roses!- Gypsy The Musical Review

Staycation in Devon!!

The Crystal Maze Live Experience Manchester Review